Friday, May 8, 2015

I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT I HAVE PERSONAL AUTHENTICITY AS A POET BECAUSE OF MY IDENTITY

I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT I HAVE PERSONAL AUTHENTICITY AS A POET BECAUSE OF MY IDENTITY
from Pearl and Other Poems


I am a victim of genocide and atom bombs.
I am a minority and also foreign.
I am a blue collar person of enormous sensitivity.
                                                   
I was educated at Harvard and also dropped out of school
and also received a rural education on a farm
and also at an urban center in the ghetto.
I am a wealthy urbanite who comes from a lineage of American Harvard professors stretching back to Adam
and also I was born today, right now, in announcing myself in speech.
I committed suicide twice because of artistic vision and also because of pathos.

I am a war veteran and also a war protester.
I was killed by police in a demonstration against police and also by demonstrators in a police protest against demonstrations.
I invented myself out of thin air and was created by my environment.

I am a woman and also a child.
I am a man and also a mentally retarded man.
I am blind and deaf and mute and dumb.

I am a great hulking beast of a muscular man
and also a graybeard sage of skinny wisdom.

I am a young man with no money, a white recipient of unemployment benefits and Medicaid
a father of three, a husband, and no one you’re likely to know.

I am no one at all.



(c) 2014 lee sharks

from Pearl and Other Poems:
http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Other-Poems-Crimson-Hexagon/dp/0692313079/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429895012&sr=8-1&keywords=lee+sharks+pearl

No comments:

Post a Comment